Saturday, February 06, 2010

Death by Anthem Blue Cross

Like millions of other Americans who can't afford or dislike their employer's health insurance policies, I must have an individual policy. The other day Anthem Blue Cross announced that as of March 1, my premium would increase by $101 a month. An outrageous fee, yes, but not as bad as some other subscribers.

An article in yesterday's edition of the LOS ANGELES TIMES announced that most of ABC's individual policyholders are facing a 30-39% increase in their monthly premiums. ABC blames it on "the rising cost of healthcare." Further, they mention in the letter I received that they will likely be raising premiums as they see fit. (Do I hear the AIG and GM angels singing in the background?)

Many, like myself, have switched to policies that have high deductibles and limited coverage. If I get seriously ill, I'm covered. If I remain healthy, I'm screwed. The philosophy of ABC is ironic and foolish. As a result of my high deductible, I won't visit my doctor unless I'm really sick, though I will continue to get yearly mammograms and gynecological exams because I don't want to die. (Gee, could it be that ABC really wants its individual policyholders to die off?)

The California Department of Insurance, which I contacted yesterday, plans to send me a form for more information. I fully intend to complain, and the DOI is launching an independent investigation. After all, ABC is trying to get away with murder.

No comments: